Archive » March 27, 2008
By SYVJ Staff
Aspara - Kopitas
Fashioned after spanikopeta, the Greek spinach and feta cheese pie, this appetizer is easy to make, has bold flavors, is elegant
for parties and may be prepared ahead of time.
• Olive oil
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cleaned, trimmed,
and cut into 1/2-inch diagonal pieces
• 1/4 onion, minced
• 1/2 marinated red bell pepper, or pimento
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
• Tarragon or Provencal herbs, to taste
• Dash white wine or vermouth
• 1 package frozen puff pastry dough
(2 sheets) 8 ounces feta cheese, or favorite cheese
• Egg white, optional
Saute in frying pan with oil, asparagus, onion, bell pepper or pimento, garlic and mushrooms until half-cooked. Season with herbs and deglaze with wine or vermouth. Allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
1. Unfold the pastry dough, then cut each sheet into 9 equal squares,
yielding a total of 18 pieces.
2. The defrosted dough can be easily rolled and should be rolled out
a little thinner.
3. Place a spoonful of the mixture onto a sheet of dough; sprinkle
with cheese. Place another sheet on top and crimp the edges
with a fork.
4. Brush the edges with egg white or water before baking.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until puffed and
These my be served either warm or at room temperature.
Best of the Best from
California Food Festivals of Northern California